Monday 22 July 2013

EVERY SOLUTION BEGINS WITH A DEFINITION

“If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail”. 
- Abraham Maslow


Truly problems are actually an invitation to solutions, but problem solving is both a skill and a mindset, and the good news is that both can be developed. So in the next couple of weeks we will explore the matter of problem solving. Our start point is the definition of a problem. Albert Einstein said “if I had one hour to save the world I would spend 55 minutes defining the problem and only 5 minutes finding the solution. This is simply because your definition of a problem determines your perspective and approach to solving it, thus a wrong definition produces a wrong perspective and approach.

A young couple decided to start their own business. He was an engineer and she was an advertising copywriter. They bought a small salmon cannery in Alaska. They soon discovered they had a problem. Customers opening a can of their salmon discovered that the fish was gray. Sales dropped. Investigation revealed that the problem was a result of the way they processed the fish. "This is a technical problem," said the wife, "and you're an engineer. You have to find a way to fix this." Thus, the husband being an engineer set out to solve “the technical problem”, a month later, the husband announced that they would have to replace some machinery and make other changes. It was going to take at least 10 months to do the job and it was going to cost a lot of money. "We have to do something sooner than that," said the wife, "or we're going to go under." For the next two days she pondered and came up with another definition of the problem: “this is a labeling problem”, there was nothing wrong with the salmon--it tasted fine. The problem lay in its looks. So she changed the label on the can. In bold letters, right under the brand name, the labels thereafter announced, "The only salmon guaranteed not to turn pink in the can." Sales picked up again.

Definitions have a way of changing your perspective on a matter, while some people define their problems as obstacles, stumbling blocks, insurmountable, impossible etc, other define the same problems as stepping stones, learning experiences, and so on.

Friends before jumping right into solving your next “problem” take a step back and invest time and effort to improve your understanding of the nature of the problem and properly defining it. This may just be the secret to solving that seemingly gigantic problem before you.

4 comments:

  1. woo!!!!!! mind blowing! this is interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY BEST LESSON-by emecheta christian

    Being a high school freshman,i encountered a reasonable amount of bullies in school.They would do anything in their capacity to see that they turn you into some kind of drone whom they can control or manipulate to do anything they wish.This inhuman behavior made me hate high school so much that i even wanted to quit going to school entirely because i felt that going to school was just not necessary anylonger.This constant feeling of hate and anger made my marks drop very low because i found it hard concentrating on academic works,my mind was always thinking out options on ways to revenge on this wicked seniors in my school.The day my view of high school changed was after i had a chat with an elderly friend who advised me to tighten up on my academic works to gain a reputation for myself,he said if i can be able to do this,those high grade bullies would respect my right as a student and some would even want to make friends with me.I applied my friends advice and as soon as i stood out from the rest of the class with very high grades,my school started sending me for competitions which made me popular in school because I always won and it also gained me friendship from most of my seniors in school.Due to my outstanding performances in interschool competitions,the schools reputation was rejuvenated because i was told that before now,the school hardly won competitions.This was how what i thought was a problem actually turned out being a divine call to represent my school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!
    I have been trying my hand on writing for many years since primary school. My teachers have encouraged me and said I have a great talent for writing. I loved writing too. I read everything; whether printed or not—I just love reading it. I had problem with my principal, who insisted that I was “too intelligent to waste in art.” His attempt to discourage me rather boasted my talent; because I WANTED TO BE A WRITER.
    Writer? “They don’t make it.” “God! You will die a poor man.” “Don’t be carried away by Achebe’s success—writers are hungry people.” Friends told me, but I was not discouraged.
    But something happened; something very terrible. This intelligent chap could not make it to primary admission in the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka. It was a shock to everybody. My name was not just in the list—don’t ask me why?
    Downcast, I thought my writing talent was over. I defined my problem wrongly. For me, to be a writer, you must study English. Yes, after all Achebe, Clark, Soyinka; they all studied English. Lo! I defined my problem wrongly.
    I later got admission to study education. I joined The Writer’s Community (TWC) in the Campus. Lo! And behold, those pioneering the literary corridor there are not those from English. The all powerful Prince Jacon is in Library and Information Science department—Education. I realised that what matters is my talent. I gave my best to the group, and today, to the greater glory of God, my writing talent keeps flourishing. I keep on receiving “Congratulations”, inspiring youths through my writings, and today, have even participated and honoured in reputable contests.
    YOU SHALL GET THERE! ITS JUST FOR YOU TO LET THAT LIGHT IN YOU SHINE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SEE THE DEAR SIDE
    I study physics and astronomy in the university. physics by its nature is mathematics intensive. I thought I knew that long ago, but I realised how mathematical my chosen field of study is in my second year. At a point, I was finding it difficult to keep pace with the maths. I was not well prepared to face this challenge.

    Apart from the physics, I also had to take mathematics courses, intimidating and tagged advanced mathematics. it was designed to cover matrices, linear algebra, differential equations, real analysis and complex variables. these were more than I bargained for.

    Sessional exams approached steadily and I was worried that I was yet to grapple the bulk of the mathematics. I told myself that I was sinking. honestly I thought i was.

    Sitting distractedly through a tutorial class one evening as the exam came nearer, I argued with myself thus "I love physics to the utmost level, that's a fact. I couldn't proceed with the study without passing mth 202. since maths has become an integral part of physics, why not see all maths as physics? see the dear side of maths as. see it as a stepping stone your making as a physicist.

    thenceforth, I renamed the dreaded mth 202 to phy 202 and like magic I began to come to terms with the course. I did not make an A in the course, but scoring 60 (B) in a course that already was drowning me is worth celebrating.

    by re defining the problem, I found a common ground from which it could be solved.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...