Monday 3 March 2014

WHO HAS BEEN THERE?

"I take rejection as someone blowing a bugle in my ear to wake me up and get going, rather than retreat." - Sylvester Stallone

As a youth corps member, serving my country after law school; my monthly allowance was N1000 (N700 from Government and N300 from the Law Firm where I served.) But it was my fiancée’s birthday. Don’t ask me how I managed to put together birthday gifts worth over N2700, but I did. Armed with the gifts which included a beautiful painting of her (I had paid someone to do a fantastic job. I had wanted to “wow” her to pieces).

I traveled all night from Makurdi to Ilorin (about 3 stops and different vehicles through the then very dusty roads of Benue, Kogi & Kwara states) only to arrive Ilorin in the early hours of the next morning. I put up with another male colleague and friend. It was there I refreshed and waited till the birthday party in the evening. As I arrived the venue of the party (the secretariat of the Nigerian Christian Corper’s Fellowship, NCCF Secretariat), I could tell I was about to sweep my fiancée off her feet. Then came the time for photographs and as varying groups, in the NCCF took their turns snapping with her, I couldn’t wait for the photograph of the day (the one with the both of us alone). But to my shock, as the Mc announced my name (as husband to be) and I stepped up to her in the midst of the ovation and shouts, she turned me down and publicly. She didn't want to take any photos with me. I could feel my intestines turning within me, my head spinning around me and my heart sinking within me. I prayed for the ground to open and swallow me but it wouldn’t. It was so embarrassing even to the brethren, that a few of the executives of the NCCF had to take her aside; for a pep talk, for her to stop the humiliation. Finally she reluctantly obliged, just to save the day. By the next day I was sick of high fever and for about a week after I couldn’t stand on my feet. Who has been there?


I believe rejection, if not properly handled, can kill. First it kills your human dignity, then it kills your self esteem, then your joy (which gives you inner strength) and in doing that it destroys your ability to deliver on any task or assignment. And as you eventually lose your job or fail your exams, it finally fills you with depression and self pity for yourself and hatred for those who perpetrated it on you. By doing that it opens you up to be afflicted by the devil. And trust Satan to complete the cycle by afflicting the innocent victim with cancer, a tumour or a blood disease. And what began as an ordinary refusal to be a part of a photograph, if not well handled, can lead to the termination of a precious destiny.

Why does rejection wound us so deeply? Because it attacks the very person that we are. It destroys our self-esteem, and attacks who we are and our purpose in life. This is why it is one of the most common tools the devil will use to destroy a person's life. God created us to be loved, honoured and celebrated not tolerated or rejected. God never wanted us to feel rejected or abandon. He desires for you to know who you really are, and realize how deeply He loves, accepts, and appreciates you, so that you can live out the fullness of all God has ordained you to be.

David put it this way ‘When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers - the moon and the stars you set in place - what are people that you should think about them, mere mortals that you should care for them? Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honour. You gave them charge of everything you made, putting all things under their authority’ - Psalms 8:3-6 (NLT)

Beloved, listen. You were created in the God class and you are accepted in the beloved. Remember, even when men reject you, God celebrates you because you are His Prince Regent on earth. He has crowned you with glory and honour and put all things under your charge and authority. Those who reject you don’t know your true identity.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: By RNHckr.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...