Tuesday 22 July 2014

NEED FOR REPENTANCE

“True repentance has a double aspect; it looks upon things past with a weeping eye, and upon the future with a watchful eye.” – Robert Smith



Many understand the term repentance to mean “turning from sin.” In the Bible, the word ‘repent’ means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions.

Annette Yancey knew from the time her son Albert was a child that he had a special anointing on his life. "There was always a calling on him," Annette said. "But if a mother doesn't know how to protect that spiritual calling, it can really hurt." Albert started to drift as an eleven year old and by the time he was 17 years old he was a gang leader. Then on the night of September 7, 1991, Albert committed a murder. He was sentenced to life in prison. The long days in prison brought him to repentance. "On April 6, 1994, I gave my life to Christ," said Albert. "At first I was afraid to embrace it. I was afraid to walk away from the life I had succumbed to." Today, Yancey serves as a praise and worship leader at the Jester Unit where he occasionally preaches sermons. He also shares his testimony about his path to destruction with others through his organization, Prisoners Making Changes, a faith-based program designed by inmates to prevent youth from engaging in violence, drug abuse, gang involvement and other actions that could lead to prison. "I can't even identify with the person I used to be," he said. "I was on the path to

destruction. Had I continued to live my life the way I was living, I wouldn't have seen my 18th birthday. "I like to say I wasn't arrested. I was rescued."

Repentance does not eliminate the struggle with sin and make us perfect immediately. But it does result in a marked change of thoughts, words, and deeds, whereby we do not love our former lusts as we once did. Ask yourself today whether you can see the fruit of repentance in your life. If you can, be assured of your salvation. If not, turn from your sin today.

The first step in healing our relationship with God is to repent of our sins. We need to trust that Christ died for those sins and He has forgiven us. Confess that sin in your life to Jesus and receive His forgiveness, NOW!

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: By RNHckr.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...