Monday 15 April 2013

Your Mama


Wisdom Nugget: "Her children arise and call her blessed many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."

Photo credit: photopin


As the wise saying goes, "you never know what you have until it's gone."

Naturally, most of the time we become so used to certain people, especially family around us that we trivialize their importance and value, to the extent that most times we don't even remember they exist, even while they are close-by. I have had the opportunity of attending burial ceremonies and have almost, all the time, heard family members or acquaintances eulogise the dead, or attempting to do so amidst teary eyes. Usually, I realize there's always something nice to say about the departed. But it crossed my mind to ask myself once, "How many times do we make these people know how important they are to us, or how often do we give such praises or pour such accolades on them while they are alive? Very unlikely that they never even knew they were so loved and cherished.

We are usually either very busy trying to make all the money in the world while  forgetting that we wouldn't have any loved ones to spend the money on if they died. Someone said "What's the most important thing in life? To me, it's FAMILY, because if you take away the fame & fortune they're the ones that will always be there."

A man stopped at a flower shop to order some flowers to be wired to his mother who lived two hundred miles away. As he got out of his car he noticed a young girl sitting on the curb sobbing. He asked her what was wrong and she replied, "I wanted to buy a red rose for my mother. But I only have seventy-five cents, and a rose costs two dollars."
The man smiled and said, "Come on in with me. I'll buy you a rose." He bought the little girl her rose and ordered his own mother's flowers. As they were leaving he offered the girl a ride home. She said, "Yes, please! You can take me to my mother." She directed him to a cemetery, where she placed the rose on a freshly dug grave. The man returned to the flower shop, cancelled the wire order, picked up a bouquet and drove the two hundred miles to his mother's house.

As we celebrate women all around the world, do something special for your mother, or that mother figure in your life. Make that call, send those flowers, wire some money, above all the gifts, tell her how important - let her know how much of a wonderful mother she has been to you. It was Abraham Lincoln who quipped, "All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."

Remember this: your mother will not be around forever. Appreciate her while she's still alive. Life is short. Spend as much time as you can loving and caring for her. Enjoy each moment with loved ones, before it's too late.

Nothing compares to family.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...