Tuesday 7 May 2013

Your Work Is Your Life

Wisdom Nuggets: "Without work, all life goes rotten. But when work is soulless, life stifles and dies."
                                                                                                                      - Albert Camus

Source: Photo Pin

The sign in the store window read: NO HELP WANTED. As two men passed by, one said to the other, "You should apply - you'd be great."

Cynthia Spence in Homemade, May, 1989 wrote "One researcher has estimated that 50-80% of working Americans are in a job that does not match their abilities and is therefore unfulfilling. That may well be the force behind the statistic that the average worker will change careers two or three times before retirement." If you work 8 to 9 hours daily then 37.5% of your life is spent on that job. And you had better love what you are doing or else your life is already a living hell. Your entire life is calibrated in TIME. When therefore you give 37.5% of your day to a job you are giving it 37.5 % of your life. Every morning as you dress to go to work don't be fooled, this is not a dress rehearsal, this is your life going and nobody but you has the awesome power to make it a living hell or a blissful heaven.

My almighty slogan in my training programs for cooperate executives is, "Either you do what you love or love what you do. Or simply quit!"

I discovered something from my Physical Exercise classes. I hate jogging but I enjoy long quick walks. I dread aerobics but I need it so I do it to be alive. The only exercise that comes natural to me is swimming. For some reasons, I never miss an opportunity to swim, whether I'm home or abroad, but I find myself always forgetting that I have an aerobic class. Because I enjoy swimming, the fun in it has taken away the work in it. Let me recommend the same principle for your job.

Notice when Adam got a job in Eden, he was happy. Eden means pleasure or delight.  Everyone was made to work in their various Edens, i.e. the job that gives the utmost pleasure and delight. It takes the work out of it and occupies you with the fun in it. Interestingly, the most successful people the world over know this is the first principle of success.

Albert Camus said "Without work, all life goes rotten. But when work is soulless, life stifles and dies." And finally  Khalil Gibran posted "Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy."

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: By RNHckr.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...