Wednesday 23 October 2013

THE GIFT OF FAMILY (5); HOME INFLUENCE II

"If a country is to be corruption free and become a nation of beautiful minds, I strongly feel there are three key societal members who can make a difference. They are the father, the mother and the teacher." - Anonymous


As we continue our series on the gift of Family, the importance of a family or a home, not a house like we already know; cannot be overemphasized. That's why Michael J. Fox, a wise man said "Family is not an important thing. It's everything." Have you ever wondered why when you left home the first time you did, you found every other pattern of behaviour outside what you were used to in your family strange and odd, this is simply because the family is the first frontier of moulding perception, character and values.

One of my team members shared an interesting story of how he was raised and I would like to share his experience with you, he said:

"I grew up with my mother and everything I knew about the church and God, she taught me. It was difficult growing up with no father figure around but I'm sure even without a father; with my mum we had a home. I remembered how she used to wake us in the mornings for family devotion; with the sound of her tambourine and her singing and boy; were those times very uncomfortable. Especially on cold mornings when sleeping seemed the only logically reasonable thing to do. I was young and riotous but, my mother a strong and assertive woman who wouldn't take any nonsense from me or any of my other siblings made sure we prayed when we were supposed to. We went to church as supposed. While she did all these, my young mind couldn't comprehend and I used to envy my friends whom I knew didn't have to wake up as early as we did for devotions...but years later, I can look back now and say, "Thank God, for the way I was raised". While in the university, I didn't smoke, party, or get involved with any of the many vices that young people are given to, not because my mum was there to whip my behind, but because there was an internal training working in me. And sometimes my classmates mockingly called me "Pastor", when in actual fact; I wasn't born again at all. I was just living life the way I'd been trained to. But for the upbringing at home I'd have ended up like just about any other child.

Therefore, it is indeed almost a certainty that a child who didn't experience the beauty of a family relationship or one who wasn't trained properly would derail almost too quickly at the slightly pressure or opportunity to do so.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: By RNHckr.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...